Wednesday, April 13, 2011

trash picker

I just finished watching Waste Land, a documentary about artist Vik Muniz and his undertaking with the garbage pickers who mine treasure from the trash heaps of Rio de Janeiro's Jardim Gramacho landfill.
Quite an interesting film.
Portraits are composed completely of rubbish.
 
 He obviously likes to explore a variety of different mediums and material.
Other works include replicas of the Mona Lisa done in PB & J...

Che Guevara in canned beans...
 
 
Toy soldiers position perfectly to create a portrait of a soldier...

2 comments:

  1. I saw the documentary a few months ago and just loved it - what an inspiring artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I worked at the International Center of Photography we mounted an exhibition of Muniz's work. It was so different from anything other artists were doing at the time; I was amazed. He was also a very nice person, from what I remember.

    ReplyDelete