Monday, February 21, 2011

banner card & garland

I'm not the best card maker. In fact, I kind of hate making cards, hate filling cards out and often don't even attach one to a present I am giving. 
Ashley's father turned 60 though and I thought some thoughtful words was the best gift I could give—so I made a card.
I scored a piece of red card stock with a bone folder and ruler. On the fold, I cut small triangle flags so they were double-sided. With an adhesive roller, I secured and sandwiched a piece of baker's twine between. The ends of the twine were knotted and glued to the inside of the card. Simon was spelled with letter stickers.
When the card is open & standing, the banner hangs.
I didn't want to write anything inside the card to distract from the banner surprise so I wrote on the back.
With circle punches, I punched Ashley's and my face out of a photo and used word bubble stickers for Happy & Birthday (photo taken before I wrote it in).
This past weekend, we celebrated two more Birthdays, at my apartment. I made a similar flag banner but this time on a bigger scale. 
For this, I cut triangles from card stock and used a screw punch to punch holes in the top corners. Two colors of seam binding were threaded through and used to hang it. 
Easy craft projects can make big impressions.
Simon, Amanda and Noah all loved their birthday flag garlands, big or small.
Happy Birthday.

6 comments:

  1. I love making cards, and the banner addition is such a neat idea. Simple but impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I have been meaning to make a banner for quite some time...maybe this will be the little extra inspiration I need to actually get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post and great job!!!
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. best bday sign and bash ever!!
    ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive! Your banner card is so gorgeous! These is perfect birthday card! If it is ok to you can I copy your design? My mother's bday is on sept. She will be happy if I give her a present.

    ReplyDelete