Thursday, March 29, 2012

plastic shore

A couple of weeks ago, I did a segment with Martha, demoing the Sailor's Valentine boxes using all nature materials that I found on the beach. We also showed a piece of art I created from all the plastic remnants I collected that littered the ocean shore
Besides being automatically drawn to the specs of bright colors heading down the beach seeking shells, the remorse I would feel to "pirate" the natural and pass by the manufactured. How could I do that? Once that ida was in my head, it was impossible to stop picking it up.
After cleaning, drying, organizing by color and packing in my suitcase, all the plastic from the beaches of a small island in the Bahamaswe journeyed home to New York City. One night, I sat indian-style on the floor, scrutinized over layout and puzzled together a color gradient composition.
It changed a few times, many times, before I decided to glue the pieces down.
Now that I've composed the blue, green, grey, purple—I have the red, orange, yellow left to map out.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooohhh...I love this! You are so clever! Years ago I was at a museum on Cape Cod (I can't remember which one) and they had a piece or two that took this same concept of picking up littered material from the shore and making it into art and also a statement in how littered Cape Cod was becoming. It really struck me and I stared at this piece for a long time looking at each item carefully and trying to guess what it used to be and even how long it was used for before being tossed away. Now that I'm thinking about it more, I think the pieces were arranged in an American flag. I love the gradient you made and it really will be conversation piece, literally...a good way to teach people to be more conscientious about waste. Kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've become a mosaic artist!!!! I would LOVE to know a place where I could pick up all this stuff, helping the environment, then take it home (minus the plastic, I'll recycle that) then, make art out of it!!!! Like the last post says, Clever girl you!!!!!! Louella Turvey

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, looks great! Very creative!
    xoxo Eva
    http://thefacesoffashion.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete